A knowledgebase for leaders in nonprofit organisations, on issues related to software technology and its use in community programs. It is based on our experience of working in many such community programs for dozens of organisations over years.
About technology and nonprofits publication
The list of topics to be covered in this publication is as follows. The articles already published have been linked. Please feel free to suggest additional topics in the same theme by contacting us - if we understand enough about such issues.
- The architecture of community program organisations and their data systems (this is a foundational article hence slightly abstract)
- Designing systems that use paper and technology together
- Why your community and field team procrastinates data reporting?
- What is the difference between a software platform and a bespoke solution? How should I choose?
- Open-source products offer a technology evolution path and help avoid risks in technology projects
- Factors to consider when procuring mobile devices
- What does it mean to use open-source software?
- The challenge of building software teams in social-sector organisations
- Why data collection platforms are insufficient for frontline programs?
- Why does the data entry person hate your MIS? Why not paying attention to data entry user’s experience is a bad idea?
- What are the challenges in including clients (beneficiaries) as a user in your community program’s digital systems (SMS, WhatsApp, Mobile app)?
- Why we should not obsess over solving for our beneficiary/client’s identity problem and use simple physical+software approaches that are sufficient for most programs.
- What simple processes and tools you should expect from your technology provider?
- Should you host your software yourself?
- Do not clean or manually verify data after collection. Most of these rules can be implemented in the technology solution at the point of entry itself. We will go into the extent to which such validations can be done (which is way beyond checking for mandatory fields, number within range etc).
- Technology as infrastructure or as a strategic tool for organisational transformation
Health specific articles